I’ve spent the day working on the Word documents that contain the new translation of Eusebius’ Tough Questions on the Gospels.
It’s been about turning the notes into Word footnotes, correcting the margins, fixing issues with the typefaces.
One curious feature is that my translator chose to use the specialised commercial non-unicode font GrkAcca. This comes with a software package, Greek without tears. I bought a copy of this, and learn that a new version is imminent.
The main issue to decide, however, is how to organise the collection of 45 fragments that I have had translated. I’m moving towards the idea of replicating how Migne does things. So for the quaestiones to Stephanus, you have the big chunk of materials from the catena of Nicetas. Then you follow it up with the supplementa minora, better known as “other bits I found lying around.”
One problem is that Migne just copied the second edition published by Angelo Mai. For some unaccountable reason, this did not include some perfectly worthy fragments published in the first edition.
So I am toying with this structure:
Supplementa – Major fragments, from Nicetas
Supplementa minora – Minor fragments, from Mai’s 2nd edition
Minor fragments, from Mai’s 1st edition
We have fragments of the questions to Stephanus, about the differences at the start of the gospels; but also from the questions to Marinus, about problems at the end. So I’d first have the fragments from Stephanus, in the above format; then the fragments from Marinus.
I also have Syriac fragments, all from the Stephanus questions. These I thought I’d put at the end. Mai also prints some Latin fragments, all from the Marinus questions. I thought I’d put these after the Syriac.
My hopes of printing translations of the Coptic fragments are fading fast. They were translated, to a high standard, by Carol Downer and her people; but nothing I can say seems to induce her to let me have more than the latter half. Ah well… We’ll have to manage without.