A book arrived at my local library today, and I have spent a couple of hours turning it into a PDF. After all, it cost me $8 to borrow, and I must return it in two weeks. Also my command of the language in question is not great, so a machine translator will be necessary. The OCR is running at the moment.
Not so long ago I spent most Saturday afternoons scanning and proofing. In those days Google Books did not exist, nor Archive.org, and it was the only way to get things online. The equipment I have today is far better than I had then, but I am quite glad that I don’t have to do it now! All those books on Google books must have taken enormous labour.